For many patients, chemical peels can remove the outer layer of dead skin and reveal the new, fresher-looking skin underneath. Chemical peels are usually classed into one of three categories:
- Superficial peels, also known as lunchtime peels, are used to remove only the outermost layers of skin. These procedures usually involve the use of a mild acid compound to exfoliate skin gently.
- A stronger acidic compound is required to achieve a medium peel. Trichloroacetic or glycolic acids are among the most commonly used chemicals for these types of cosmetic peels.
- Deep peels can strip away layers of damage to reveal new skin underneath. These are the most in-depth chemical peel procedures and generally can only be performed once safely.
Chemical peels are an effective way to reduce the signs of aging and to remove small imperfections in skin tone and texture.
Why Choose Chemical Peels?
The compounds used to perform chemical peel procedures can make a real difference in the texture and appearance of skin. Some of the benefits of these procedures include the following:
- Fewer breakouts and acne scars
- Improved texture and softer skin
- Evening out of discolorations and minor scarring
- Reduced evidence of sun damage
- Fewer lines and wrinkles
The right chemical peel solution can enhance your appearance and can give you greater confidence in your everyday activities.
How Long Is the Recovery Period for Chemical Peels?
The time required to complete a chemical peel varies depending on the type of peel and the sensitivity of your skin. Recovery periods vary as well:
- A superficial peel may take from one day to one week to heal completely. Redness and scaling may occur with these chemical treatments.
- Medium peels usually take between one and two weeks for a full recovery. The chemicals used are significantly stronger and may result in blistering, swelling and crusting. Your aesthetician may recommend an ointment or solution to help you with these symptoms.
- Deep peels typically require two to three weeks for complete healing and may require bandaging during the first two weeks after the treatment. Ointments and lotions will typically be recommended to help ease the pain and speed the healing process.
During the recovery period, patients should avoid any exposure to direct sunlight without the protection of sunscreen. This can ensure the most beautiful results from these advanced cosmetic procedures.
The experts at AVAmedica MediSpa can provide you with professional recommendations about the most effective treatments for your specific set of needs. We offer a wide array of chemical peels and other cosmetic treatments designed to help you look your best without surgery. Give us a call today at 646-588-0888 to discuss your goals with our experienced and talented aesthetic team. We look forward to the chance to serve your beauty needs.